How to small business marketing is a guide for the business owner and blogger, and the first thing you must understand is to stop thinking about how to get sales, but how to help your potential customers. Many people new to this business make the mistake of following the big companies, but this usually does not work when you are a little fish in a big pond.
How To Get Started Step One
Let’s presume you already have your niche chosen, so what is your next step to getting started in this business? Many training programs start you out setting up your website, but actually choosing your niche, in my opinion, should be decided before anything else. Now you are ready to begin step one, how to choose your website.
These are the most popular platform new business owners and bloggers consider to build their dream business on, and since all of these are free or provide a free version money is not really a factor at this time.
This is the best choice out of the four choices above in my opinion, but you need to know it does take some website design knowledge to use this platform, but don’t allow that to scare you there are online courses that are affordable to teach you step-by-step how to create your WordPress website.
The second most popular choice is this version of WordPress, and this one is more beginner-friendly. You can have your business online in only a short time by using this version, but at the same time, you will not have all the bells and whistles you get with the other WordPress I mentioned as my first choice.
You will find this platform is gaining popularity with business owners and bloggers who are looking for an eye-catching website simple and easy to setup. Again you will not have the features you get with WordPress.org, but this is another choice for beginners.
This platform is not as easy for beginners as Wix, but according to reviews if you are wanting an online store this is a better choice to go with. So now how do we make the big decision?
What To Consider When Choosing Your Platform
Every person is going to be a little different in what is the most important to them, but I have some things you really need to consider before rushing into using any of these platforms.
- How SEO-friendly is each of these platforms, you really want your website to be easy to rank on the first pages of the search engines. So this is to be one of the first things I would consider, you can have the best products and services but without traffic, you are going to get very few sales.
- Can you afford to pay for hosting, and money can be a problem for many people, but hosting companies I feel are better than self-hosting platforms.
- Do you have the option to attain your own domain name, and this is more important than people realize. More so for better ranking than a professional appearance, so these are the three things I would consider first before making a decision.
How Much Would I Need To Invest?
Actually the majority of people are surprised to find out the investment is much less than they imagine, so here is what I paid for my new website with Dream Host recently.
- Shared-hosting plan $4.95 per month
- Domain name $13.50 per year
So you can see this is a very reasonable investment that should not put you into debt to start your dream business, and so money really should not be a factor for the average person. Now, this is if you go with WordPress.org, and to be honest with you I would never use any other platform if I was you. Many people start with self-hosted choices only to later have to move their website to a hosting company, and many ends up having to start all over so this is something to consider.
Business Owners & Bloggers
Many new business owners and bloggers get stuck in a rut using the same strategy over and over again, and as long as this is working that is great. So what happens if your strategy stops working for you, and to be the most successful you really need to come up with a marketing plan with more than one strategy.
Content marketing is the most popular strategy new and experienced businesses use, and for a very good reason, this works extremely well and has been for a very long time. If you depend only on this strategy you are missing out on earning an income, so most people who use this as their only strategy ends up often losing out on earning as much as they possibly can. What are some other how-to of small business marketing you should consider, now let’s look at another strategy we can try.
Search Engine Optimization
Learning how to use content marketing with search engine optimization is a must to rank high on the search engines, but many beginners are missing out on traffic and sales by not using this strategy effectively. How do you befriend the search engines can be frustrating, so here is the formula I use that has been working for me for years.
- Using Jaaxy keyword research tool for the best keywords to rank for, and I also use Google Trends as a free tool to find out what people are searching for. You can get access to Jaaxy keyword research tool and many more benefits by joining Wealthy Affiliate, I just thought I would share this with you to get the most for your money.
- You will want to use your keyword in your blog post title as well as in your first paragraph, and be sure to bold your keyword to help the search engines understand the keyword you are trying to rank for.
- Add your keyword in every alt tag in all your images as well, and this is something many beginners don’t do or forget about doing.
- End your post with your keyword in your last heading tag, so this is my search engine optimization strategy.
Social Media Marketing
I have never had to use paid advertising, and over the years I have learned how to use social media marketing to earn a steady income without paying for paid ads. I don’t have the time to share my strategy in this training, but I will provide a training sharing how I do this on each of the social media sites that I use.
Even though I have not started using Instagram and YouTube these are two more I recommend, and I do plan to add them to my marketing strategy plan in the near future. So I do recommend these six websites to promote your business, so add these to your marketing plan as you have the time to.
Another strategy that has been a huge success for my own business is what is called personal branding, and this is simply building a respectable reputation for you and your business. The business that truly cares about their readers and customers will be the most successful, and by me providing you the best information has been my best branding strategy. I really do care more about you than your money, and I would not be sharing my own marketing strategies for free if money meant more to me than helping you.
I feel every business should provide email newsletters and publications that their readers are interested in receiving, so that is why I provide you with my basic newsletter and my special VIP Publications. If you are going to provide your products and services this is where I feel is the place to do it, but by specializing my publications you are going to receive what you signed up for. I will never spam you with a ton of emails, so you can expect from me one email of each publication you sign up for per week.
Why You Should Not Follow The Big Boys & Girls
The how-to of small business marketing you should never follow the big businesses, and you must understand these big companies have marketing teams trained, and this is all they do. You also can’t compete with the marketing budget these companies have, so if they lose subscribers by pushing their products and services this does not have the same effect as when you would lose subscribers. I really believe you need to careful not to oversend emails to your subscribers to the point you are being a pest, so this is my concept of how-to-use email marketing as another strategy.
What I Offer My Readers In My Email Marketing
I try to offer you what you are interested in receiving from me, and I feel this will be providing you what you want from me, and help me understand what each of you is the most interested in. I don’t wish to waste your time or mine with emails you are not going to read, so I hope this system is working well for both of us?
- The pop-up basic newsletter includes an introduction to this week’s blog post and some freebies.
- Business resources publication provides you products and services that will benefit you and your business, I provide you one free and one affordable resource each week.
- Online courses provide you one free and one affordable online course, and I have learned much of what I know today from online courses.
- Affiliate programs provide you with one program per publication, and all my programs pay 10% commission and higher so you will earn a nice commission from them.
How-To Small Business Marketing
Now you have a better idea of how I use my own marketing strategies for my own business, and if these are working for me they will also work for you. And Mentoring With Jeff provides free business training on my Facebook group and Wealthy affiliate, so you are never alone.